Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"The Giver" - Lois Lowry


One of my favorite books of all time is a children’s novel entitled, “The Giver” by Lois Lowry.

 The first time I read this book was in fifth grade and I remember loving it even though I did not fully understand the underlying meaning.  At age 9, I just enjoyed the storyline.  Since then I have read the book at least 5 times since and every time I learn something new or have a different perspective on the book.  I love the concept that the book addresses about how controlling should society be?  In the book, the government controls everything and the community members are mindless followers.  They have no free agency and cannot even see color or feel pain.  Everyone is guaranteed safety and the necessities but in consequence no one truly understands life.  Since they have never felt utter sadness they have never felt true happiness because they have nothing to compare it to.  “The Giver” helped me understand the LDS gospel principle of opposition in all things as well as free agency.  After I read this book, I was so grateful for all the experiences good and bad that I had gone through.  Overall, this book is an amazing representation of the importance of free agency in religion, society and life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment